This course introduces literature as cultural and historical phenomena. This entails a study of history of various periods of English Literature from Renaissance to the present. The course also, very briefly, touches upon different theoretical approaches to literature to introduce the student to literary critique and evaluation. A general understanding of literary theory as a broad field of philosophical concepts and principles is also crucial to the understanding of literary piece.
1. To study the history and practice of English as a scholarly discipline.
2. To study the history and development of each genre through excerpts of literary texts.
3. To do close reading of texts and analyze them with different critical frameworks.
4. To analyze and criticize the works of literature in their cultural and historical contexts.
5. To assess the influence of literary movements in Britain on English literature from all parts of the world.
1. William Henry Hudson. Introduction to the Study of Literature (1913)
2. Andrew Sanders. The Short Oxford History of English Literature(1994)
3. Mario Klarer. Introduction to Literary Studies (1999)
4 J. H. Miller. On Literature (2002)
Note: The teacher will use Sander’s history with any one of the three books on literature as core texts.
- Albert, E. (1979). History of English Literature (5th ed.). Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Alexander, M. (2000). A History of English Literature. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Blamires, H. (1984). A Short History of English Literature. London: Routledge.
- Carter, R., & McRae, J. (1997). The Routledge History of Literature in English, Britain and Ireland.London: Routledge.
- Chin, B. A., Wolfe, D., Copeland, J., & Dudzinski, M. A. (2001). Glencoe Literature: British Literature. New York: McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- Compton-Rickett, A. (1912). A History of English Literature. London: T. C. and E. C. Jack.
- Daiches, D. (1968). A Critical History of English Literature. London: Martin Secker and Warburg Ltd.
- Fletcher, R. H. (1919). A History of English Literature. Boston: R. G. Badger.
- Legouis, E., & Cazamian, L. (1960). A History of English Literature. London: J. M. Dent and Sons.